Monday, January 23, 2012

The Standard

The cheque: we paid $60 per head including cocktails
Service: Perfect
Food: Good
Decor & Feel: Heavenly

Given the amazing number of places to brunch in New York City it is very difficult to justify returning to a place more than once. But I make an exception for the Standard!

On New Year’s Day, having only got to bad at 6am, I dragged my 6 visitors from the UK to the heaven that is The Standard. I honestly think that if Holly Golightly had had the Standard Bar & Grill, she wouldn’t have needed Tiffany’s. It is a place that is both buzzing yet so calm and beautiful that nothing bad could ever happen to you there.


We were late for our reservation (despite it being for 2:15pm) but they sat us with very little fuss in a gorgeous alcove table in the main room. This room is dark with red leather booths and penny coins set in the floor. On a day when you’re feeling fragile it is the perfect place to have life wrap its arms around you and give you some love...and that it did.


Having had a busy and drunken night on New Year there was plenty to talk about and the conversation was following over our first round of drinks. This may have helped my love of the place but my guests were also suitably impressed with their surroundings. The staff were incredibly helpful and couldn’t do more for us.

We started with a round of cocktails. 3 of us opted for the Bloody Mary’s (the perfect brunch drink) and the other 5 went for  the Standard 69. This mixture of gin, lemon, raspberry puree and champagne is divine! If I wasn’t so wedded to my Bloody Mary I would have snatched it in a instant.

My order was the two poached eggs, sourdough & home-fries (I know it’s a repeat order but it’s so good) and the rest of the table mixed it up with an omelette, eggs benedict and a burger for the only man of the group (huge and served with a whole gherkin).










 









This place is all about the feel, it is an ideal location to then explore the highline and it is perfect to show visitors ‘a taste of New York’ and who wouldn’t want to brunch with models and rich folk occasionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment